So, you’re interested in becoming a Live-evil QCer. Great! Interest is the first step in joining the crew. Follow this easy 3-step guide, and you may find yourself the newest member of L-E in no time.
- Read the “Fansub Basics” in our FAQs. A clear understanding of the fansub process is an absolute necessity to be a good QCer.
- Verify that you meet L-E’s QCer requirements.
2. QCer Requirements:
Anyone is qualified to become a QCer as long as s/he meets the following criteria:
- Has been speaking, reading, and writing English for over 12 years and has a VERY good command of the language. Native speakers are highly preferred.
- Can effectively check spelling and grammar, as well as suggest rephrasings of awkward sentences.
- Is familiar with common abbreviations such as: AM/PM, PST, EST, JST, etc. regardless of race/culture/geographical location.
- Is 15 years of age or older. (This has to do with maturity.)
- Has a longer than average attention span. QCers frequently watch an episode multiple times before it is released.
- Does not mind watching scenes with nudity in them.
- Is not afraid of pissing any member off by suggesting changes for the good.
- Can concentrate on more things than just the English in the subtitle. QCers also check all signs and onscreen text, as well as watching for timing and encoding errors.
In addition, to become a QCer for Live-eviL, you must also:
- Be willing to QC any L-E show that needs it. (If you’re going to be picky about what shows you will QC, then L-E is not the place for you!);
- Be able to use/willing to learn (how to use) IRC and idle in our channel(s) often;
- Be collaborative;
- Agree to the Live-evil Code of Conduct. (No applicant will be accepted who has not agreed to this code).
If you think you meet these requirements, keep reading.
If not, well, unfortunately we cannot accept any applicant who does not meet the above requirements; but please continue to enjoy our great releases and join us on IRC in #live-evil.
3. How to apply
Live-eviL frequently recruits ‘fresh meat.’ That is, we welcome fansubbing nOObs to join our team. We raise fansubbers from scratch by having them join our QC team and working up to greater responsibility. What this means is, prior experience as a QCer is valuable and highly appreciated here at Live-evil, but we are also willing to train! So whether you have been QCing for years or are brand new to fansubbing, don’t be afraid to apply.
If you’ve read all of this and still believe that you would make a great L-E QCer, then talk to Suzaku or tlynnec (aka. Suzaku|rCGoLE| / tlynnec|LLE) in #live-evil, e-mail email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org, or post a response in this forum. Note: email or PM preferred.
Please note, we have very busy lives and may not get back to you immediately, but we will respond. If more than 3 days go past without a response, please try again as we may not have received your initial message.
Last updated: November 19, 2008